After much pondering about what would be the most effective way to communicate, we decided to post our Friday meeting summaries here. Not only will they be easier to access, but they will also be public – so everyone can reach out to us with feedback!
Our first meeting was fantastic; we had an excellent turnout! It was great to see so many new (and returning) faces, but most importantly, a ton of energy and many ideas! We are so excited for this year – we definitely have the capacity to accomplish a ton and make a big impact on our local communities (whether it’s inside or outside West High School).
- Mr. Grady, head advisor
- Amy and Sevahn, president and vice president
2) 2011-12 Accomplishments
- Click here to see the PowerPoint!
3) Brainstormed the projects we want to carry out this year. Here’s what we brainstormed (no, we’re not doing all of this!):
- Green our school
- Spread awareness about West’s green activities to community
- Incorporate community (not just including West)
- Collaborate with local organizations such as Sustain Dane and Citizens Climate Lobby
- Spread awareness about environmental and climate change issues in general
- Get local small businesses involved
- Write grants to fund solar panels and other potential projects
- Acquire powerful hand dryers and install in West bathrooms
- Have more clean-up/trash pick-up days
- Establish better-labeled trash/recycling bins
- Contact waste management
- Green lunch room (replace plates, have fresher food options)
- Build a rooftop garden
- Offset carbon expenditure
- Pursue Madison Metropolitan School District funding for our projects
- Establish committees to work on specific projects; ideas include:
- Energy Conservation/Renewable Energy
4) Discussed mission statement ideas and goals
Projected 9/21 agenda:
1) Finish up the mission statement
2) Form committees and start outlining work in groups
That’s all for now! Feel free to email us with questions or ideas. See you on Friday!
Sevahn Vorperian: firstname.lastname@example.org
Amy Hua: email@example.com